Xubuntu 20.04 LTS on Thinkpad L15Posted: | More posts about xubuntu
Installing Xubuntu 20.04 LTS on a new Lenovo Thinkpad L15 was relatively painless, but involves a few steps. Especially the pre-installed Windows 10 makes it harder than necessary.
I went for a new Lenovo Thinkpad L15 as it promised good quality and decent Linux support . The "L" line is the cheaper version of the Thinkpad "T" models. While "T" looks like the safe-bet in terms of hardware quality, I wanted to save some money and therefore decided for the L model hoping for good-enough quality.
My Lenovo Thinkpad L15 (20U70006GE) features:
- AMD Ryzen 5 4500U processor with 6 cores
- 15" Full HD display
- 16 GB RAM
- 512 GB SSD
- Download Xubuntu 20.04 LTS ISO and create USB boot stick via usb-creator-gtk
- Set up pre-installed Windows 10 (and decline all Microsoft accounts and tracking)
- Windows update, update, update (and reboots) + install latest Lenovo BIOS (Windows software to update BIOS is pre-installed)
- Disable Secure Boot via BIOS in order to boot from Xubuntu USB stick
- Discover that Xubuntu cannot install next to Windows¹ because BitLocker is “active”
- Boot to Windows, enable BitLocker, reboot, disable BitLocker (BitLocker is in some weird “waiting for activation” state for the OEM install)
- Install Xubuntu
- Install newer Kernel via apt install linux-generic-hwe-20.04 for better Hardware support (suspend has problems otherwise)
- Success 🎉
¹) I want to keep Windows installed “just in case” and for the Lenovo BIOS update tool.
It was a bit annoying jumping through those hoops with Windows and BitLocker. I would have preferred to buy the laptop without any OS pre-installed, but apparently this is only available for students (“Lenovo Campus” line).
I don’t have any more experiences or problems to share so far. Everything I need works. I might report back after some weeks.
|||I tried to find authoritative information on Linux support for the L15, but there are only pieces of information available, e.g. on https://www.lenovo.com/linux|